The type of training conducted is dependent on your needs. If you plan to sort during normal working hours (Monday-Friday from 8am-7pm), Basic Training will suffice. Members of the Flow Core perform "" during normal working hours based off the user’s needs documented on the Comments field in the scheduler. If you plan to sort heavily during nights, weekends, and holidays, you should take Advanced Training also.
Please view this online tutorial, before your scheduled training, as it will help you in understanding flow cytometry basics. This highly recommended tutorial is excellent for beginners and even advanced users might learn a few things.
We allow you to evaluate your skill level (Novice, Competent, Proficient), but if we observe you need additional help, you will be required to take supplementary training. Choose from one of the 3 options:
|Skill Level||Training Required|
|Novice: Never utilized flow cytometry, less than 6 months' experience, or want to learn as much as possible.||
The Core requires the following 3 classes. Total cost = $412.25 per person
1. Core Immunology Lab (CIL) Flow Cytometry Training Course: For those new to flow cytometry, or would like reinforcement of flow cytometry fundamentals, the Parnassus Flow Cytometry Core (PFCC) is partnering with the CIL which provides a lecture and lab course designed to cover the basics and theory of flow cytometry. See here for more info. Class is about 3 hours long. Cost = $196.25 per person.
2. PFCC Hands-On SH800 Sorting Class: A hands-on training which will familiarize you with the workflow and operation of the sorter instrument. Some will be virtual, due to the high number of users. Class is about 3 hours long. Cost = $216 per person.
3. PFCC Guidance Class: Upon completion of both the CIL and Hands-On portion, you will then schedule Guidance sessions with a member of the Core, to help reinforce the hands-on training and practice with your samples. Same rate as appropriate instrument charge. No additional training charges.
|Competent: Have some experience (greater than 1 year) with flow cytometry analyzers and sorters from other companies.||
The Core requires the following 2 classes. Total cost = $216 per person
1. PFCC Hands-On SH800 Sorting Class: A hands-on training which will familiarize you with the workflow and operation of the sorter instrument. Some will be virtual, due to the high number of users. Class is about 3 hours long. Cost = $216 per person.
2. PFCC Guidance Class: Upon completion of both the CIL and Hands-On portion, you will then schedule Guidance sessions with a member of the Core, to help reinforce the hands-on training and practice with your samples. Same rate as appropriate instrument charge. No additional training charges.
|Proficient: Have experience (greater than 2 years) with flow cytometry and at least 1 year of cell sorting on the SH800 platforms.||
The Core requires the following 1 class. Total cost = $27 per person
PFCC Logistical Class: For those who already have experience, and are of at least intermediate level, you are required to go through the logistical training so you know what you are responsible for and what resources are available to you. If we observe that you need training or require what amounts to Assistance, we will have you go through the other Basic Training options. $27 per person. Class is about 30 minutes long.
For users who would like to setup the instrument on their own, during non-normal work hours (Monday-Friday from 7pm-8am, weekends, and holidays), or become super users for their lab, Advanced Training is highly recommended. In addition to reviewing what was covered under Basic Training, users will be trained on “” which focuses on instrument startup.
1) You must have fulfilled the SH800 Basic Training requirement.
2) After completing SH800 Basic Training, you must perform an SH800 Setup course. Notify Core staff and we will bill for the SH800 Super User Training appropriately. This training will be spread out over a couple of weeks and will involve a minimum of 5 SH800 setups where you are trained under the supervision of a Core staff member. You will not have to book any time for the trainings, but you will have to check the scheduler for opportunities to setup and inform Core staff of your availability. You should plan for about an hour a day and is best recommended to do in the morning on the first setup of the day. After passing this course, you will be able to setup the SH800, run a sort, and shutdown the instrument. You will become a super user for your lab, and will be able to setup the instrument on your own at any time. Cost = $54 per hour.